Garage Insulation
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
markandjac
Labourer
Labourer

Garage Insulation

by markandjac » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:57 pm

Hi
I have a detached garage which is fairly 5 years old. It is built in a single course brick (apart from the gable and piers). I keep my classic car in there and use it as a workshop. My problem is that when I heat the garage from cold I naturally get condensation which soaks my beloved car and tools etc. I have a dehumidifier but it's not much help really.

I need to know the best way to insulate against this and it seems that something like Gyproc Themaline might do the job?

If this is correct, should it be fixed by dot and dab or battens?
Should the exterior wall be fitted with vent bricks to allow the new cavity to dry?
Any advice would be appreciated
Cheers
Mark

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:11 pm

markandjac,
Fix the boards to the walls using treated battens, use treated timber at the bottom of the boards to keep them off the floor and ventilate the cavity. Keep using the de-humidifier.
end
Should have added that you need to use segmented battens to aid ventilation and probably 2 low level and 2 high level vents on ech side of the garage.
end
Last edited by stoneyboy on Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:28 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:42 pm

insulation will not stop the condensation - in fact it could heighten the problem by trapping the damp.
the way to stop the condensation is cross-ventilation. get that sorted before insulating.

markandjac
Labourer
Labourer

by markandjac » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:15 pm

Thanks for the guidance Stoneyboy.
Mark

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:25 pm