garage light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cel255
Labourer
Labourer

garage light

by cel255 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:35 pm

I have sorted the mcb the other problem I have is the garage lighting
my garage has a flouricent celing light inside and two spot lights outside the garage. As far as I know they have their own wireing each having a blue a brown and a earth wire for some reason the electrican wired both lights to a single switch so when I switch on the garage light the outside light comes on as well I would like to rectify this, can I use a 2 gang 2 way switch and how would I wire the lights to the switch I have a 2 gang 2 way switch it has 2 rows of connectors top ones L1 L3 and L2 bottom row L3 L2 and L1 the lights are already earthed but I am not sure where the blue and brown wires should connect to. Advice would well apreicated cheers

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:00 pm

I have never bothered to remember which of L1, L2, L3 is common I have always rung out with my meter most likely L1 is common. I expect you will find L1 on top connects to L2 or L3 on bottom according to switch position and L1 on bottom connects to L2 or L3 on top according to switch position.
As to how the electrician has wired sorry that’s something I would need to be on site to work out.
Eric

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:45 am