Garage Power Points and Wiring Advice Needed
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Oxtaff
Labourer
Labourer

Garage Power Points and Wiring Advice Needed

Post by Oxtaff » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:54 am

First thanks for adding me to your forum.

My experience with electrics is limited to rewiring my first house with guidance from my electrician father 40 years ago. Unfortunately he has a big contract for the big guy upstairs so I'm grateful for this forum to ask.

In think I have found the answer to my first question on the useful projects pages but just wanted to confirm understanding.

I need to increase the number of sockets in my garage from the existing twin socket with extension lead. The consumer unit, a recent replacement, is in the garage and the existing feed is off a 32 amp MCB. If I have read the right info what I have is a small radial which I can expand using 2.5 twin and earth cable, I thought a total of 5 double sockets would suffice.

The usage would be for the existing 2 x freezers, tumble drier and hand lamp used in the garage loft area. I want the extra sockets for my 'pain cave' set up - smart turbo trainer, laptop, tv and maybe a fan for hot days.
Is a radial feed OK for this or would it be better to complete a ring within the garage?

Thanks in anticipation.
Oxtaff.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Garage Power Points and Wiring Advice Needed

Post by Mr White » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:41 pm

A ring is often better.

Oxtaff
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Oxtaff » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:15 pm

Thank you Mr White, that is what I thought, should I use 2.5 or 4mm off a 32amp mcb?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:57 am

32A is over the 20A normally considered as limit for 2.5 mm cable, so you would need to wire either with 4 mm cable or form a ring.

With a radial if a wire becomes disconnected it will stop working except for earth, but with a ring final even with a fault it will still work but with an overload, so it needs testing with proper tools.

So it comes down to if you feel able to correctly inspect and test once finished, the forms are free down load on IET web site I would say fill them in as in doing so it means you don't miss one of the tests.

Oxtaff
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Oxtaff » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:28 am

Thanks Eric, so 4mm cable off a 32A MCB radial, or 2.5mm cable ring main.
I will do the 'labouring' part and my tame sparks will do the connection/check for me.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Mr White » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:36 pm

2.5mm cable is easier to work with for a ring. As you get getting your electrician to check it first, I would suggest you double check with him that he will certify the work you have done before you actually do it.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:12 pm