Garage roll shutter door motor
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Garage roll shutter door motor

by greengrass » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:20 pm

I have a remote controlled roll shutter door on my garage which never worked since we moved in in 2004 and have been using the manual winder simply because I cannot afford £300 plus to replace the control unit. I have since discovered the motor is mains so want to test run it through two double pole switches. The motor cable wires are Brown. Blue, Black [assumed reverse action wire] & finaly the Earth wire.

Brown and Blue being Live and Neutral which would go to load side of switch with earth to relevant terminal. This leaves the black floating so how would I incorporate the black wire. The idea is to test the motors function both opening and closing prior to spending £35 on a key-switch which is suitable for replacement according to supplier. I don't want a remote system it breeds trouble with electronics and cost arm and a leg to serivice.
I am competent in electrics just confused as to what to do with the black one.
Many thanks

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:56 pm

Hi, several thoughts here GG, I know you're capable from other posts, so will skip usual warnings except:
Don't assume colours are as normal usage, blue may be N but brown may be one direction and black the other in which case feed to common of change over switch, L1 to brown, L2 to black may be all required .
Switch would need to have centre 'off' position like a car electric window switch.
What limits are there fitted to door, there must be some they may be inbuilt with drum but needs checking.
Obvious but before testing hand wind to half way first!!!
A check with low reading ohm meter should confirm windings in motor but If still connected to old unit the terms should say what each wire does.

if you connect brn=L & blu=N with black as open / close it assumes an inbuilt relay, unlikely in my experiance.
take care, can you not download tech manual?
regards Sparx

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

by greengrass » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:34 pm

Hi sparx many thanks have tried to locate locally a type of switch you suggest with no luck but as its for test purpose before paying £35 for proper key switch from quantekshop.co.uk a roll shutter and garage door remote and keyswitch supplier how does the following test sound to you [hoping you are reading this of course]

Using one double pole switch, feed mains in as usual on mains IN side and on LOAD side first connect brown L blue N and of course the earth. protect for safety the black wire with terminal block. Then wind door up as you said then throw switch to see if door goes up or down. Then switch off, Isolate mains then swap the brown and black wires capping brown in termninal block and fitting black in place of the brown. Power up then throw switch to see reverse action. If this proves ok I can then go ahead and order the key- switch knowing the motor works and I'm not wasting my hard earnt money.
I will be sending the company an email to acertain the switch is suitable first, if so will continue with an order. Again many thanks for your reply.
Greengrass. Yes I am safety consious with elecs after blowing myself up on a burried 415volt cable in Hammersmith West London by putting a road drill straight throuhg the middle of a joint boy did it burn as only one phase was fused and it went through two substations I'm told to reach the fuse, long story this. Oh! there is a rubber buffer on the bottom of the door I assume there is a built in resist switch which cuts off current as it hits floor, if not I'll have to practice not buckling the door.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:35 pm

hi GG.
yup sounds ok not sure abt bottom strip though, most have limits within roller mech. set with rotary cams on shaft but as presumably worked once it should still be set same,
good luck, sparx

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

by greengrass » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:48 am

[quote="sparx"]hi GG.
yup sounds ok not sure abt bottom strip though, most have limits within roller mech. set with rotary cams on shaft but as presumably worked once it should still be set same,
good luck, sparx[/quote]

Hi Sparx Thanks for your replies to my electrifying job, he! he!
I have found one marking on the visible part of the motor housing a yellow plate about 10 x 5 mm with 30/17 on it probably a part number. Behind that on the end of the housing is a slide out plate I can only describe as a carrier for what I don't know. A friend has just come up with a website which MIGHT be the manufacturer so had sent email but won't hold my breath as the last one I sent to another hasn't bothered to reply probably because I'm not ordering a door. Thanks again G.G

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:49 pm