garage trips out the new box
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mij
Labourer
Labourer

garage trips out the new box

by mij » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:12 pm

A new MCB box fitted because of a new kitchen installation was checked off with the exception of the garage (it had a twin 13A plug broken at the time).

I obtained a new one today and fitted it but it trips out anytime anything tries to draw current from it. Even a hand lamp. I can see no reason for it. The house was built about 17 years ago and was empty until we moved in 15 years ago. Yes middle of the slump etc.

Cable for the garage was left outside and was unfused. It was fed to the garage under patio slabs through alkathene tubing and suitably proofed against the ingress of water.
Any ideas anyone?
mij

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:52 pm

Hi not much info but some thoughts, is socket correctly connected ie N-E not reversed? is con. unit a split load type? if so is N of socket supply cable in same half of board as L? both must be on RCD end of board, the fact that it only trips when loaded suggests the cable may be OK
regards SPARX

mij
Labourer
Labourer

by mij » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:33 pm

[quote="sparx"]Hi not much info but some thoughts, is socket correctly connected ie N-E not reversed? is con. unit a split load type? if so is N of socket supply cable in same half of board as L? both must be on RCD end of board, the fact that it only trips when loaded suggests the cable may be OK
regards SPARX[/quote]

I've checked the socket and that all matches, L, N and E. There are two external junction boxes that need checking so will do that this coming week. I don't know what's connected up on the board as it was fitted by a 'bloke wot does' All cables are behind the unit and are not visible.
Cheers
jim

mij
Labourer
Labourer

by mij » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:22 am

I have now checked the junctions leading to the garage, they are all correctly connected. I think there may be a weather consideration from a glance at the installation but all is water tight inside. All worked fine until the trip box was fitted in the house. I've now got the domestic wiring book and although mine is safe enough it may fall foul of todays standards.

It is twin cable and earth wire shielded by an alkathene (sp?) tubing under a patio. It travels some ten feet and is terminated outside of the garage on the wall before being fed through the wall. The cable is clipped to the wall in side the garage where it feeds a twin 13 amp plug outlet. This was done in 1992.
We may have to have this system updated but I'd like to do the hard work myself to save on the final bill if able.
jim

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:21 pm