DIY Doctor

Garden Lights ELV powered via Light Switch

Postby bren1971 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:51 pm

I'm installing some ELV garden lights and would be grateful for some advice on connecting up.
I'd like to control them from a spare light switch (the 2nd switch controls the exterior wall lights) just inside the back door as I have a cable already in place from an extension previously. The switch is currently wired brown (live) in/out of switch 1, the neutral is isolated in a block and the earth is connected to the backbox terminal. Considering I am trying to run low voltage lighting (6 x 3v) how should I wire switch 2, should I connect live/neutral and earth and similar to the outside socket? For info there[![enter image description here][1]][1] is a plugged adaptor with the garden lights and outdoor socket will be IP66 rated.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Bren

[1]: https://i.stack.imgur.com/C6XcK.jpg
bren1971
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby Mr White » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:53 am

Since your lights are powered by a plug in power supply, I would suggest you buy a remote controlled plug in socket, plug that in, and plug your lighting power supply into the remote controlled socket. The reason being the set up you currently have looks unsafe.
Mr White
Progress to next rank:
85.2%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!