Gas and electric supply pipes
Drainage pipes, concrete, footings and foundations. Post your questions and find answers here

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jkypre
Labourer
Labourer

Gas and electric supply pipes

by jkypre » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:34 pm

I have recently demolished a wooden porch at the front of my bungalow, and plan to build a slightly larger block one in its place.

I know that the gas and electricity supplies to the property are in this area, am I likley to encounter these when digging the new foundations, I intend to go to a depth of 450mm, or will they be much deeper.

If I am likeley to encounter them, what will I need to do with the foundation interface to the pipes. Also are they fairly well protected i.e. will a miss-placed shovel strike be terminal!

Any information would be greatly appreciated

philgrady
Apprentice
Apprentice

gas and electric services

by philgrady » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:35 pm

Gas and electric services should be at set depths. In the real world however it depends on how the installer felt on the day. There should be protection to both services, howevere assume NONE. Excavate slowly and carefully by hand until all services are uncovered. Time consuming but better. The gas and electric services are all capable of instant death. Electric will be around 80A to 100A possibly more and gas is obviuosly explosive. When found Split duct the services foam both ends, encase in a dryish concrete and then proceed as before.

You should be able to determine position from within the house, a little research should bear dividends.

jkypre
Labourer
Labourer

by jkypre » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:51 pm

I live another day! The gas was only just below the driveway surface and the electrics was much deeper.

Thanks for the reply.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:38 am