Gas/CO alarm
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
T F McNeill
Apprentice
Apprentice

Gas/CO alarm

by T F McNeill » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:02 pm

My wife frequently leaves the gas hob turned on and unlit (she has no sense of smell). We've been lucky so far but can anyone help me source a reasonably priced alarm. A combined gas/CO alarm would be even better. Searches on the net turn up American suppliers of 110volt units.
Thanks, Tom

tonyfu
Labourer
Labourer

by tonyfu » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:47 am

Hi, I don't know if you'll be able to get a combined gas/CO alarm because they need to be sited at different heights according to the weight of the gas. CO is light and so it rises when mixed with air. A CO alarm should be sited higher up than a gas alarm. Natural gas is heavier so it falls to the bottom of a room when mixed with air. We have separate alarms for these in our campervan.

Our CO alarm was bought off Ebay. The gas alarm was from Lidl (discount supermarket) but they only get them in occasionally. Could also try Argos or B&Q. When searching the internet you could also ask your web browsing software to only search UK sites.

Tony

AndyB
Tradesman
Tradesman

by AndyB » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:04 pm

Tonyfu-- I'll be very surprised if you have natural gas in your camper van as the pipe from your meter would have to be miles long,depending where you travel to.I've a feeling you will have lpg gas connected to your van which is heavier than air but natural gas is lighter so would rise

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

by The Heating Doctor » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:13 am

There is a company that produces a LPG/CO gas alarm with a inbuilt relay. The unit comes with a central control unit with a built in LPG sensor and a remote CO detector. It is also supplied with a valve so in the event of a trigger the valve is closed, thus preventing any further build up of gas. It's availabe in 24v or 230v versions. Normally I would not be allowed to mention just one company but I would hope that in this instance as it's a very serious safety issue and I can think of no other like it the moderator will let this through, the company is Coster on Derby 01332 200555.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:51 pm