Gas cooker gas isolating valve ?
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dugit
Apprentice
Apprentice

Gas cooker gas isolating valve ?

by dugit » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:42 am

I am thinking of getting a duel fuel cooker (freestanding) in place of my present natural gas cooker.
When I pulled the cooker out to look for electrical and gas connections (it has double pole control unit 32A with switch to the side and above the hub of the cooker) but the flexible gas connector does not have a gas isolating valve to the cooker, should it have one ? ( The gas input to the whole house can be switched off in the garage).

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Gas cooker gas isolating valve ?

by plumbbob » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:49 am

Yes.

The flexible hose should be either a bayonet or microline type which automatically shuts the gas off when disconnected.

dugit
Apprentice
Apprentice

by dugit » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:44 pm

So it is OK to disconnect a flexible connector from cooker as no gas would then escape, but if a new gas connector was required for a new cooker then it is normal to switch off the gas at the mains for the replacement ?

dugit
Apprentice
Apprentice

by dugit » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:37 pm

So if I disconnect flexible hose at cooker then it is OK, but if I replace with new flexible hose and new cooker then it is normal to have to switch gas off for the whole of the house ?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:28 pm

dugit wrote:...........but if I replace with new flexible hose and new cooker then it is normal to have to switch gas off for the whole of the house ?

No. The flexible hose is permanently attached to the cooker and unplugs (well should do) at the wall end so it and the cooker can be replaced without shutting off the gas to the whole house.

Please can I remind you though that replacing this hose or the cooker itself must be done by a Gas Safe registered engineer who will ensure there isn't a leak and test the burners for correct operation.

dugit
Apprentice
Apprentice

by dugit » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:06 pm

But can 't I remove the flexible hose from the cooker so that it can be taken away at the same time as I have a new cooker delivered ?

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:31 am