Gas cooker inlet protective cap!!?
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stanleysmith
Labourer
Labourer

Gas cooker inlet protective cap!!?

by stanleysmith » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:39 pm

Good afternoon all,

I have just taken delivery of a new gas cooker, it seems there is some sort of cap inside the inlet which should need removing to allow the hose to be connected.

Seems straight forward right?.....this cap is flush with the entry of the inlet with no grip to turn the cap to remove it.

Any suggestions as to how i can remove this please.

Cheers
Stan

plastic_man77
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Gas cooker inlet protective cap!!?

by plastic_man77 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:12 pm

@ stanleysmith

Sounds like you are doing a touch of DIY gas work, because it's straight forward, right?

DIY gas work is illegal. It is also very dangerous.

Call a registered gas engineer to install the cooker.

stanleysmith
Labourer
Labourer

by stanleysmith » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:26 pm

Im a retired plumber and gas fitter myself son, and dont need telling what is and whats not illegal and if something is straight forward or not, the question was simple enough, right?

Perhaps I should rephrase the question for the "know it alls" out there......

I retired 7 years ago and have seen nothing like this before..... Question: are all cookers fitted with these things now and do you "Professionals" know how to remove them......

A simple yes or no will suffice, thank you......

plastic_man77
Ganger
Ganger

by plastic_man77 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:34 pm

@ stanleysmith

You don't need "know it alls" to explain the law to you, but you do need them to explain how to remove a plastic plug from a cooker inlet so you can continue with your ILLEGAL gas work. I would consult an up to date registered gas safe engineer!

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

by TheDoctor4 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:21 am

To undertake any gas work you must be competent. This is the law!!

Competency does not simply mean you have the physical ability to do the job. It means you must have the ability to be able to test (from the meter) for the correct gas pressure both before and after any installation. This will indicate leaks either through pipework or faulty appliances. If you do not have the ability to do this then any gas work you undertake has the potential to be both unsafe and illegal.

A general rule here is that if you need to ask questions about an installation you are about to undertake then you should not be undertaking it.

If anyone is unsure about any aspect of any part of a job involving gas then please leave it to a gas safe professional.

If anything at all goes wrong with any gas installation undertaken by a person who is not competent then it is extremely unlikely that your home insurance will be valid

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:32 pm