Gas fire does not seem to work
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
swarfega
Labourer
Labourer

Gas fire does not seem to work

Post by swarfega » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:25 pm

Hi there.
Just moved into my first property (I'm only a wee pup). Anyway, upon attempting to get my fire going - I've gotten nowhere.

It's a Superior Convencta Dual Flame, and looks in pretty good condition to the naked eye. I turn the pilot dial from the off position and click it to access the gas (which I can clearly hear), but then nothing after that. I cannot rotate the dial any further while holding it down, but when I let go of the dial - the gas stops with no flame brought up.

Enlighten me, and my fire :)

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:43 pm

There's either something wrong with the ignition, not igniting the gas, or flame sensing device is not holding on the pilot, if no flame is detected the fire will not light.

Anyway - you need an RGI, not a DIY job. Probably best off getting someone to carry out an annual gas service. Normally a good clean will get the fire working as soot and lint block the pilots, if not he will quote for the repair.

The reason I say get the appliances serviced, is - you probably don't know when they were last done, you don't know if they're DIY installations, and even if it's all in the HIPS for the house, i'd want an engineer I know or that has been recommended to clarify they're all safe to use, if not you'll be able to take it up with the last engineer or the last owner/occupier.

htg

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

Post by TheDoctor4 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:24 pm

For up to 5 FREE quotes from trusted, vetted and insured tradesmen in your area visit the DIY Doctor Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:02 pm