DIY Doctor

Gas Hob

Postby JAGOML30 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:55 pm

I'm new here so hope this hasn't been covered before.

I want to get my gas hob moved to the other side of the kitchen and wondered can the hob gas supply be fed from the same gas pipe that feeds the boiler which is only 2 metres away (ie teed off) or does it have to be fed purely on its own. Also the old gas pipe, how would it be capped off as I'm having thee wall removed an rsj put in. Would it be just simply capped off in the ceiling above the rsj ?

Please note I wont be doing any of this work myself but just interested to know what I will need to get done.

Thanks in advance
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:42 pm


Simply Build It

Postby htg engineer » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:54 pm

It does depend on the length of the gas runs from meter to appliance, in most domestic properties, if the gas pipe supplying the boiler is at least 22mm then yes you will be able to tee in for the gas hob.

Yes you will be able to cap off the gas pipe in the ceiling void as long as a capillary/soldered joint is made - you cannot use compression joints where they are not easily accessible.

htg engineer
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 3256
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:22 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics