Gas Isolator or Gas cock?
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bucksfella
Labourer
Labourer

Gas Isolator or Gas cock?

by bucksfella » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:53 pm

I am currently in the process of replacing my old electric hob with a gas hob which means I need to install a gas feed.
I plan to do the work myself except obviously the final connection tothe gas line. Does anyone know if this is an acceptable way to do it or does the whole job need to be done from start to finish by someone CORGI registered?

Also I assume that I need some kind of isolation on the new pipework but having looked through the screwfix book my choice is either a gas cock or a gas isolator. Is there any difference between a gas cock and a gas isolator?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:34 am

What you need is a 15mm isolation valve, I have looked at screwfix on the net - and they do the 15mm gas cock and 15mm isolating valve - they both look like the same thing.

As you will see in the screwfix book 'All Gas Products must be Installed by a Corgi Registered Installer'

If you do the pipework and cock up and there's leaks or mistakes - it could end up costing more for the CORGI engineer to put it right than it would for him to do the full job.

What/how much would you actually save by doing a bit pipework yourself ?

bucksfella
Labourer
Labourer

by bucksfella » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:19 pm

good point but I've got every confidence in the quality of my work.

I take it that I'm ok to do it the way I suggested from a legal point of view though?

tsb
Tradesman
Tradesman

by tsb » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:47 pm

I'm affraid it really has to be done by a corgi engineer if its going to used for gas. Thats the law. Its a *******, but thats the law

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:22 am