gas qualifications
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
johnnyuhtar
Apprentice
Apprentice

gas qualifications

by johnnyuhtar » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:49 am

Hi guys after a bit of advice Theres a company that says it can get me fully qualified as a gas service engineer/installer !!!
The company is MET-UK it will train you in centre then on placment ! It says it is fully accredited by corgi & city& guilds the qualifications you get are:-

LEVEL 2 :-

C&G 6132 certificate in domestic natural gas

LEVEL 3 :-
ACS assessments CCN1
CEN1
WAT1
HTR1
Electrical, Energy Efficency and combi boiler fault finding
BPEC (level 3) Essential electrics
BPEC (level 3) Combi boiler fault finding
BPEC (level 3) Part P Defined scope electrical compentancy
BPEC (level 3) Part L Energy Efficency
Are these the qualifications I need To work with gas as Im being made redundant and was planning on using my redundancy to re-train myself as I dont want to claim benefit
Any help advice much appreciated
Thanks Johnny

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:24 am

These courses are quite expensive - i've Ive heard a few employers wont employ anyone who has gone for a fast-track course. there's one guy where I work - and I wouldn't let him in my house.

If I was you I would apply at British Gas for a traineeship. Any age and no qulaifications, you will get on-site experience and it's at least one years training.

I've heard of people that have sat 3 months training and assessments - but they cant hack it in the real world.
They're ok on paper and man-made assessment faults - get placed in front of a boiler alone it's a different story.

Save your money and get someone to pay you for sitting exams - like British Gas.

hope this helps

johnnyuhtar
Apprentice
Apprentice

by johnnyuhtar » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:45 pm

Thanks mate Ive got my name down with british gas but no courses/places in my area (newcastle) Ieven rang the training centre in (killingworth/Newcastle) to see if I could pay and go on a course with them but they didnt want to know Ive asked loads of companys if they were taking people on but no joy Im affraid there not interested when I say Im 40 think that place is my last hope !!! OR Im going to buy a length of rope !!!!!!

21benz
Labourer
Labourer

British Gas

by 21benz » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:50 pm

I've just started an apprenticeship with BG and it is an brilliant course and set up! I however had the same problem when searching for job vacancies on their website! Try using a few other postcodes around your local area you may get lucky like me and another bloke on my course.

As for the age legally they cannot discriminate against age, I've heard of a guy employed for an apprenticeship at the ripe age of 63 because he was technically qualified for the role! There are two blokes on my course who are 35 and one on the group before mine who is 42 so I wouldn't worry about that.

They are however very strict on who they take on in terms of whether they share their values.

Keep trying Ben

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:10 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:40 pm