Post your questions and find answers on all garden related topics and areas

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
throbbing thumb
Labourer
Labourer

gate and fence

by throbbing thumb » Sat May 02, 2009 7:48 am

Advice needed on fence…
Frustrated female here. I have a space between 2 walls which I have had a 4ft fence and a wooden gate fitted (standard width gate). The problem is I am not sure if this has been installed properly. There is a 4x4 post on 1 wall then a 4x4 post a few feet from that one making up the gate entrance which seems fine . The fence part is the problem .The fence bit is 4ft wide by 5ft high with a 4ft by 2ft concrete base. There is no post on the opposit wall for the fence or a post to retain the concrete base, instead 2 lengths of 1x1 have been put on the wall and the same on the 4x4 which is the gate post also. The channel created by the 2 bits of 1x1 basically contains the 4ft fence and the 2ft deep concrete kick panel. My intention is for the concrete base to act a retaining wall for some soil so approx 1ft of the 1x1 will be covered in soil. Is this the norm for installing a fence. I am worried that this wont be strong enough. The 1 x1 has been nailed into the wall is this the norm?
Help!! Thanks in advance

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun May 03, 2009 6:38 pm

throbbing thumb,
Sounds like an economy job, replace the 1x1 timbers with treated 2X2 timber and you should then be OK.
end

Razz
Labourer
Labourer

by Razz » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:50 am

I fit gates and railing only in steel.

I don't see the problem.
This has been done to allow you to replace the fence panel as & when required with ease.
1 x1 being strong enough and a better fixing 2 x 2 which I think would be to wide and not look right as it will cover part of your fence.

If concrete posts had been fitted which already have the grove in, the groove rebate is only about one inch deep anyway.
The concrete posts could not have been used in your case as to to the fence would have retricted you to having to have a bespoke gate made.

So they have provided you with a standard Gate access.
And have taken into consideration the four foot gap and have replicated the grove by putting the 1 x1 each side.

Hope that helps and makes sense

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:55 am