Get Installer to supply boiler or www self sourced ?
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Brian
Apprentice
Apprentice

Get Installer to supply boiler or www self sourced ?

by Brian » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:21 am

Didn't know if this was a Gas or Central Heating question, apologies to mods if in wrong section.

We are going to replace our old gas boiler with a new one plus all associated works ...some pipework/electrics and new hot water tank. Going for a floor standing, heat only boiler. Old boiler is 40yrs old.
Question. What are the pros and cons of having the installer supply the boiler as against me supplying via the web ? Just a quick google of prices shows a huge difference for the same model but does the £ saved get lost by losing something that would be installer provided ?
If there was a later issue/problem is it manufacturer or boiler supplier or installer that is responsible.
And yes, I know, it's a 'cake and eat it question !'

Thanks

Brian

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:22 pm

Brian,
Get one installer to do the lot supply and fit but pick the boiler you want and get a couple of quotes.
"If there was a later issue/problem is it manufacturer or boiler supplier or installer that is responsible." They will all blame each other and probably you for not using the CH correctly!
end

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:53 pm

I would shop around, you will get the boiler cheaper.

The manufacturers warranty is for the boiler nothing else so it doesn't matter who buys the boiler.

So whether you buy it or the install buys it - the warranty is valid as long as he fills in the relevant paperwork. Just make sure they install it correctly (correct size pipework etc) make sure they flush and add inhibitor, and there'll be no problems with claiming on the warranty - and I bet you'd have saved more than a few quid.

htg

Thanx Rosebery - have corrected the typo.
Last edited by htg engineer on Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:21 pm

I agree with HE except that:

"the warranty is void as long as he fills in the relevant paperwork"

seems a little back-to-front?

Cheers

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:40 pm

For up to 5 FREE quotes from trusted, vetted and insured tradesmen in your area visit the DIY Doctor Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:56 pm