Getting power to garage from existing shower cable?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MattRS1
Labourer
Labourer

Getting power to garage from existing shower cable?

Post by MattRS1 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:16 pm

Hi,

When we had a new bathroom fitted a few months ago, we had the eletric shower removed. The 10mm power cable from the shower is linked to the consumer unit on GF which had a specific switch for "Electric Shower".

I asked the guy to leave the cable because I would like to utilise it by running power to my garage so he pulled the cable through the ceiling/wall voids and it is now coiled up on the GF in a cupboard. The "Electric Shower" switch It is obviously turned off, on the consumer unit.

What I want to know is when I get the electrician in, can he use a junction box to link the existing 10mm shower cable with armoured cable and then run the cable under the ground to the garage?

If so, in the garage would he then use another junction box and use 6mm cable to fit a double socket and then spur off another double socket and a fused light with a switch?

Please can you let me know if the above can be done and I can tell the electrician exactly what I want.

Many Thanks

Matt

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:22 pm

Hi, I trust you will be using a 'Part-P' registered leckie for this as you obviously know outdoor wiring is not legal DIY.
So HE could utilise the existing 10mm2 providing it comes from an rcd supply at source, HE could extend it with suitably rated swa cable to garage where HE would install a 'garage unit' with main switch, 16/20A mcb for radial to as many sockets you want in 2.5 cable. HE would use a second 6A mcb for the lighting circuit in 1.5mm2 cable.
If 10mm is fused/mcb'd at 40A then armoured would need to be min. of 4mm or HE could drop fuse/mcb to say 32A when if length of run short enough a 2.5mm swa cable may suffice your leckie will be happy to advise
regards SPARX

MattRS1
Labourer
Labourer

Post by MattRS1 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:59 pm

Thanks for the reply SPARX. Of course I will be using an electrician as I am aware of Part P regs for outdoor electrics.

Yes, the 10mm shower cable comes from a consumer unit with a main switch - RCD. The house is only 10 years old so consumer unit is fairly modern.

If i got an electrician round to give me a quote etc and I explain to him what I want, under part p regs, can I dig trench, and can I run all cables etc and get the leckie to make ALL connections?

I'm just thinking of a way to save a few £ as like most people are with this credit crunch.

Thanks for your time.

Matt

Hi, I trust you will be using a 'Part-P' registered leckie for this as you obviously know outdoor wiring is not legal DIY.
So HE could utilise the existing 10mm2 providing it comes from an rcd supply at source, HE could extend it with suitably rated swa cable to garage where HE would install a 'garage unit' with main switch, 16/20A mcb for radial to as many sockets you want in 2.5 cable. HE would use a second 6A mcb for the lighting circuit in 1.5mm2 cable.
If 10mm is fused/mcb'd at 40A then armoured would need to be min. of 4mm or HE could drop fuse/mcb to say 32A when if length of run short enough a 2.5mm swa cable may suffice your leckie will be happy to advise
regards SPARX

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:38 pm

Hi Matt, I personally would certainly come to such an arrangement with customers, I regularly do!
I don't want to dig trenches, chase walls etc. & time is money.
Find your leckie & ask him, he will say what he is happy for you to do, I would want to check trench with cable in before back filling (with marker tape above cable ). Agree cable route etc. it's up to him really as he is signing to say he is responsible for 'design,install,Inspection & testing',but most will agree to some 'help'.
best wishes,
Sparx

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:15 pm