Gloss paint - tiny bubbles
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jeddy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Gloss paint - tiny bubbles

by jeddy » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:41 pm

Help!
I'm trying to paint my windowsills with goss paint and I keep ending up with loads of tiny bubbles which don't pop and leave a rough surface - what am I doing wrong?

I've now tried 2 different paintbrushes (the 2nd one brand new harris pure bristle) I've tried 2 pots of paint (both brand new, one Dulux and one crown).
I tried the new paint brush with the new crown paint so thisn't any sort of contamination.
I can't see my technique can be too wrong - I mean I put the paintbrush with paint on onto the windowsill, move it and hey presto - dozens of tiny bubbles. If I try to burst the bubbles my going over them with the brush again I either just move them or create new bubbles.

Please help, what am I doing wrong, this is driving me nuts.
Jeddy

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

by stevenc1603 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:35 pm

What are you painting onto and what surface preparation have you done?

jeddy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by jeddy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:19 pm

The latest coat was onto previous gloss (sanded down first).
Thanks,
Jeddy

scottishgirl
Labourer
Labourer

by scottishgirl » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:59 am

I had exactly the same problem when trying to paint an inside door - I had sanded down the gloss, made sure the surfact was clean but kept getting tiny bubbles. I was using a gloss roller and thought that this was the problem.

What I did to solve it was re-rub down the surfaces and give it a coat of primer. When I painted onto the primed surfact there was no issue at all. Hope this works for you.

scottishgirl
Labourer
Labourer

by scottishgirl » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:01 am

Don't think my previously reply post was added... basically I had exactly the same problem you are having. We just rubbed down the surface and gave it a coat of primer. Then painted onto the primer and it worked perfectly with no bubbles.

jeddy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by jeddy » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:15 pm

Oh, well I'll certainly give that a try - thanks for the suggestion.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:27 am