All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
LAB
Apprentice
Apprentice

Glow Worm 28a re-filling CH system

by LAB » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:38 pm

Hi
Need to move radiator to other side of room, two 10mm microbore pipes from celing, after draining and re-fitting how do I re-fill system, there is no instructions in owners manual, i.e. a key as with a Worcester boiler, Will turning the valve on the flexible hose from the main cold feed do the trick?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Glow Worm 28a re-filling CH system

by plumbbob » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:51 pm

By opening the filling loop (flexible hose) valve the system will be re-filled.

You may not need to drain the system down fully just to move a radiator. With the boiler off, drain and remove the radiator you intend to move with the valves shut. Once removed, drop the pressure off the system by opening one valve and and draining the water into a bowl. With luck, the flow should stop within a short time allowing you to make the new connection. Repeat with the other valve. Don't open both valves together.

When finished, replace the inhibitor that has been lost and re-fill the system via the filling loop. Bleed as necessary.

LAB
Apprentice
Apprentice

by LAB » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:57 pm

Plumbob,
Thanks for the second time this week, for three in a row, if I dont drain all the system do I still need to replace the inhibitor and how?,
Thanks again for your help

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:22 am

Roughly gauge how much water you drain off compared to how big the system is. If it's just a bowl full then you probably don't need to add any more but if you want to be sure the system is protected, add more anyway.

Re-fit the radiator, but don't turn the valves on. Re-pressurise the system and check for leaks. Once you know it's sound, remove one of the plugs from the top of the radiator and tip the inhibitor into the empty rad using a funnel or other device. When completed open the valves and bleed the rad. Check boiler pressure.

Cheers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 am