Good heating, but no Hot water
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
philmo
Labourer
Labourer

Good heating, but no Hot water

by philmo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:59 pm

We have a Baxi Bermuda B back boiler (in ground floor lounge) and a cylinder in a 1st floor bedroom directly above.

For around 4 weeks now the water heat has got lower, needing more and more time to get any new hot water.

The system is old, and as such the controller does not independently allow separate selection of heating or water, so to turn off the heating we have to turn off a separate manual valve.

We are very very tight for cash, even with the £400 boiler scrapage scheme that we are entitled to.

My thoughts are if it is as has been suggested the cylinder that is faulty, is it economically viable to get this repaired or replaced? – or do we have to raise money to get an efficient new boilder system?.

We have two quotes and suggestions, from the Gas board (with who we do have a monthly maintenance contract) who have suggestion a power flush is required. At £600.

A recommended local heating company, who have suggested a flush might work – but we should upgrade our system – they have quoted £2467.50 inc Vat (reduced to £2067.50 with scrapage scheme) to:

- Supply a Valient pro28 pro28 condensing combi boiler in the cellar
- Supply and fit easy to use timer and wireless stat.
- Supply and fit 4 trv rad valves
- Supply and fit easy to use timer and wireless stat.
- Supply and fit new flu
- Change system from back boiler and cylinder to combi system
Carry out full system chemical flush, treat system with inhibitor, supply and fit
magna clean.

Another point is the pipe at the bottom of the cylinder is completely cold, where the pipe in at the top is very hot. Does this denote a simple repair is possible ?.

Any help really would be appreciated, as no hot water with a toddler is no fun.

Thanks

Ronald0
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Ronald0 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:32 am

If your boiler is providing enough heat for the rad circuit then if you turn this off using your valve, will it then heat the cyclinder.

Are you saying that the cyclinder heating coil feed gets hot but the flow (after starting to heat the water) does not?

Is your Primary (hot water) cicuit pumped?

philmo
Labourer
Labourer

by philmo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:53 pm

Hi

I have been trying to turn off the valve, which does help - but not much.
The cylinder still does not feel very hot, and after running for 4 hours only produced warm water at best.

The Cylinder has 3 feeds, I am not sure what each of them are.
One feeds straight up, into another pipe which goes to the loft (I presume to the water tank), the other central height (which gets hot) the last at bottom that stays cold.

Thnaks[/img]

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1