Good plan gone wrong!!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mrs MC
Labourer
Labourer

Good plan gone wrong!!

by Mrs MC » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:08 pm

Help!!
Having changed the fuse in my sons bedrooms light (four spot halogen), we managed to get the blasted thing working, until the husband thought it would be a good idea to change the angle of a spot and we are now experiencing a whole lot of trouble!!
We have not only lost the one light we have lost the bathroom and another bedroom, all on the top floor of a three storey town house thats only 3 years old.
The landing light is fine! Can you please give me some pointers on what to try next? At no point have the fuses tripped on the fuse box.

Many thanks

Kerry

sweavo
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Good plan gone wrong!!

by sweavo » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:38 pm

[quote="Mrs MC"]Help!!
Having changed the fuse in my sons bedrooms light (four spot halogen), we managed to get the blasted thing working, until the husband thought it would be a good idea to change the angle of a spot and we are now experiencing a whole lot of trouble!!
We have not only lost the one light we have lost the bathroom and another bedroom, all on the top floor of a three storey town house thats only 3 years old.
The landing light is fine! Can you please give me some pointers on what to try next? At no point have the fuses tripped on the fuse box.

Many thanks

Kerry[/quote]

Usually the power is taken from light to light around the ceilings, and each light has a separate cable going down to the switch. If the connections were not done properly inside the ceiling rose then when hubby moved the spot light he could have wiggled the wire loose that takes the power onward to the bathroom and other bedroom. I recommend

1) read about lighting wiring until you understand it
2) turn off the power
3) make sure ceiling rose connections are (a) in the correct places and (b) well connected
4) reassemble
5) point the spotlights where you like and enjoy having your bathroom light back!

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Hi Kerry, loose loop through connection in back of light the circuit goes from con.unit to 1st light and then loops on to next & so on so all up to loose wire will work, all lights after won't, turn off circuit, loosen fitting from mount and look for loose wires, regards SPARX

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:04 am