Gravel Driveway
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ziggles
Labourer
Labourer

Gravel Driveway

by ziggles » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:31 pm

Hi, I would like to lay a gravel driveway over some grass I have at the front of my house. The area has a wall attached so what I'm worried about is if I put my new car on it will the weight of the car push the soil under the grass out and damaged the wall. What's the best way to go about this. Only going for gravel driveway as can't really afford a proper block one at the moment. Your advice would be greatly appreciated. A photo of area can be supplied if helps. Am new to site so would need help in sending photo unless you can provide an email address.

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

by stevenc1603 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:41 pm

IMHO I wouldn't lay chips straight over grass. Your not so likely to damage the house, but it will become a quagmire in the wet and you'll spend as much putting down more chips than you would have doing it properly.

If you only want gravel then I would dig the site down a good 6 inches, more if you can, then fill it back with type1 hardcore. Once thats down compact it then put your top chips on. To stop the edges from spreading out and weakening either use some treated wood or preferably a concrete edging to keep it all in place.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:13 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:32 pm