Gremlins in my lighting circuit
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Zero Tee
Labourer
Labourer

Gremlins in my lighting circuit

by Zero Tee » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:29 pm

We are currently knocking through to the utility room, doubling the floor space of our small kitchen.
I want to link both light fittings so that the switch at the kitchen entrance orthe back door will turn them on at the same time, rather than using a double switch as is right now. I must admit that I have had a tinker and now I don't know what the lights are doing. All the switches must be in the 'off' position to allow me to use one to switch the lights on. To add insult to injury, I installed an outside light to the lighting circuit and now I can only have that on when I have the kitchen lights on!!

Can ANYONE help???

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Gremlins in my lighting circuit

by BLAKEY1963 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:37 pm

[quote="Zero Tee"]We are currently knocking through to the utility room, doubling the floor space of our small kitchen.
I want to link both light fittings so that the switch at the kitchen entrance orthe back door will turn them on at the same time, rather than using a double switch as is right now. I must admit that I have had a tinker and now I don't know what the lights are doing. All the switches must be in the 'off' position to allow me to use one to switch the lights on. To add insult to injury, I installed an outside light to the lighting circuit and now I can only have that on when I have the kitchen lights on!!

Can ANYONE help???[/quote]

ZEROTEE
I would first find out if part p applies to the work in your area
as kitchens are speacial locations and lighting outside can come
under part p. ( see projects section )
there r variations here with feeds being mixed up , and possibly
a feed ( live ) on the switch side of an internal light.
without more info hard to comment.
I would get in electrician to help u with this.

BLAKEY1963

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:55 am

There is some help in projects section. Also links to Part P and 17th Edition. I will assume you will need to involve LABC so trying to do it on the sly is not an option. Electric systems and tinkering do not really go together. Quite obviously your not following a design and as such you must follow the new 17th Edition which will likely mean you need to replace your consumer unit. This is not the type of job to DIY and I can see no option but getting an electrician to do this work so you may as well allow him to do all of the work.
All best Eric

Zero Tee
Labourer
Labourer

Gremlins.

by Zero Tee » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:49 pm

Sorted the problem thankfully. Headlamps and candles, they're the future!!!

Got a mate, who is a sparky and he finally returned my call!! When we found the live feed he was able to talk me through the whole thing. Thanks for looking into it.

Zero Tee

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:09 am