Grey wire connection for led bathroom cabinet
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
diypete
Labourer
Labourer

Grey wire connection for led bathroom cabinet

Post by diypete » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:02 pm

I have a new build house which has a Vortice extractor fan correctly wired up via an isolator, however I wish to fit an LED bathroom cabinet directly below it, the cable to the fan is 4 wire .Brown, Blue, Grey and bare copper (Earth I presume). of which only 2 are connected (Brown and Blue)

I'm told casually by an electrician that I can power the cabinet by extending the unused GREY wire to the block within the cabinet he didn't say if I needed to carry the other 3 wires over as well.
I suspect I needn't carry over the Brown wire just the Blue and Earth as the Grey would be taking Browns place but I thought it's better to get a Pros opinion before I start connecting up. Your advice would be most appreciated.
Cheers.
Pete

Skid Sprocket
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Grey wire connection for led bathroom cabinet

Post by Skid Sprocket » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:03 pm

Does the fan have a timer (to run a few mins after fan is switched off)? The usual setup in a 3 core + earth cable is the brown is the switched live, the grey permanent live (to allow the fan to run on) and the blue neutral. But if the grey is not connected it is an odd setup.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:36 am