Halogen Downlight Problem
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
scoobie
Labourer
Labourer

Halogen Downlight Problem

Post by scoobie » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:15 am

Hi,

I've got the above installed throughout most of the house, and recently with 2 of them, I find that the light keeps failing. These are the type that look like small 1/2 orbs that you can position slightly to angle the light. The bulb is held in place by a metal c-clip

On inspection I found that the connector that you insert the bulb into seems to be getting extremely hot where the 2 wires enter - these wires then go off into what looks like a a plastic connector. The back of the bulb connector was touching this plastic connector and had begun to melt it.

I repositioned the connector and wrapped insulation tape around the wires on the back of the light connection, but they burned though this.

I'm guessing that something is not quite right somewhere and was going to replace the transformer and associated wiring, but I'm not sure how to do this.

If I manage to remove the actual light fitting from the ceiling would I be able to pull the connection block through and hopefully the transformer will follow? Will it fit through the small hole?

There is no-other access apart from the small hole. This is in the shower room by the way and the transformer 'may' feed the other downlighter in there.

The other downlighter I am having similar trouble with looks as though the wiring from the bulb connector goes straight into the transformer which I can see. In this case the back of the bulb connector was touching the transformer and had begun to melt the casing.

Any help greatly appreciated.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:42 pm

scoobie,
Halogen downlights esp the 50w ones do get extremely hot this is why a 50mm clearance is specified all round. Make sure all the wiring except the heat resisting stuff is well clear.
end

transformer
Labourer
Labourer

Post by transformer » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:32 pm

Good to hear you can pull the transformer through. Didn't realise this. Thanks a lot!
Just need to find a a way of sticking the transformer well away from the downlight.
All the Best.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:54 am