halstead boiler wickes 101 its a flaming problem please help
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
itsacracker
Labourer
Labourer

halstead boiler wickes 101 its a flaming problem please help

by itsacracker » Mon May 26, 2008 11:29 am

hi and thanks in advance for advice
got a halsted 101 boiler that is doing me missus and me crazy the boiler works fine no problems till for about a year now when i get up in the morning and turn the hw tap on and gess what nothing just stone cold water so have to reset the boiler as got the red light (lockout) on for no apparent reason as whe dont use it a night time then it started doing this just a few times in the week instead everyday but now five days ago my son girfriend was having a shower and she turned the hw nob on the boiler to full blast after 5 minuts it started making strange noises so i turned of let it cool down and restarted it still works fine with hw and ch but you can see the gas flames going up and down and they make a pop pop is it a easy repair will it cost too much or should i just get a new boiler fitted? i was thinking of the new vaillant plus 837 condensing combi
thanks
AL

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue May 27, 2008 10:56 am

Halstead boilers have always been cheap and not very reliable.

Sounds like the lockout is the boiler over-heating - because the gas valve is not modulating.

The modureg (modulation regulator) on the gas valve controls the flame, if the flame is excessive the boiler will over-heat.

A modureg if available or a new gas valve should solve the problem.

htg

itsacracker
Labourer
Labourer

thanks for your advice

by itsacracker » Wed May 28, 2008 6:57 pm

[quote="htg engineer"]Halstead boilers have always been cheap and not very reliable.

Sounds like the lockout is the boiler over-heating - because the gas valve is not modulating.

The modureg (modulation regulator) on the gas valve controls the flame, if the flame is excessive the boiler will over-heat.

A modureg if available or a new gas valve should solve the problem.

htg[/quote]
but theres one problem the boiler does that only when is not used for lets say 8 hours or more then when its time to use it its on lockout
in other words you dont use it and she goes in to lockout on its one!!!!

itsacracker
Labourer
Labourer

another thing i forgot

by itsacracker » Wed May 28, 2008 7:11 pm

the gas company is doing mains gas work up the road from me since then the pop pop thing started on the gas burner do you think as got something to do with? but not the lockout as that started earlier on its one without usage.
do you think its better for me to get a new one ex:vaillant as i think its better if not the best ones in the market and more reliable i got a friend that works for swale heating and he does a good price for me supply and fit a vaillant EcoTEC Plus 837 for £900 with all the certificates
thanks

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu May 29, 2008 3:55 pm

Have had a few jobs where water gets in the gas pipes and causes problems with gas pressures - get an engineer out.

It definately goes to lockout without being used - you're 100% sure ?
no one opens a tap before going to bed ?

Sometimes if you open a hot tap, so the diverter operates the microswitch but you close the tap before the burner comes on - boilers can go to lockout as it has not completed it's sequence - tends to happen on older boilers.

As for the vaillant - defiately includes fitting ??? if so - great price
as the boilers are around £900 to buy. If you have the money i'd go for the vaillant as it'll last for many years. This might be the first problem with the halstead but you tend to find with older and cheaper make of boilers after the first problem there'll be more in the next year or so.

htg

itsacracker
Labourer
Labourer

thanks

by itsacracker » Fri May 30, 2008 8:56 am

thank you for your reply will get someone to check it out then report the results in the forum maybe i need to get the dust out of me pockets and go with my friends offer

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:11 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:32 am