hanging a pendant from a vertical position - any ideas?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sophiecogan
Labourer
Labourer

hanging a pendant from a vertical position - any ideas?

Post by sophiecogan » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:43 am

Hello!
I'm trying to hang 2 pendant lights from a steel beam, but the obvious position (horizontally under the beam) puts the lights in the wrong position. I want them to hang centrally above the dining table below. So to get them closer to the central position I need the wiring to come out of the side of the beam and possibly extend about 10cm out horizontally before they can hang down above the table. Does anyone know of a sort of bracket or arm or fitting that could conceal and support the wiring so that I can achieve this? I have already bought the lights and they are glass and therefore reasonably weighty.
Many thanks!

toplondonchef
Ganger
Ganger

Re: hanging a pendant from a vertical position - any ideas?

Post by toplondonchef » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:24 pm

Hi Sophiecogan

Just trying to fully understand what you're trying to achieve here;
You want the 2 light fitting to hang from the steel beam, centrally over the table but, the beam isn't central to the table ?

You therefore want to extend the wiring and hang the light fittings approx 10cm off of the steel beam ?

If you have a local metal fabricator or workshop they would be your best bet. Take some measurments of the beam and of the fixing plate from the light fittings and some photos would help as well. I think a custom made bracket will be the only option.
You will need to consider how the lights will be fixed to the bracket and also that the bracket will need to be fixed securely to the beam. Could be drilled and bolted or the workshop may offer a mobile welding service.

Obvious question maybe but can you not just move the table 10cm so as central to the beam ?
Good luck and let us know how you get on

sophiecogan
Labourer
Labourer

Post by sophiecogan » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:19 am

Hello
Thanks for your reply. Yes you got the gist of the matter, and since posting my question I've looked at pages and pages of images of brackets to see whether any would do the job, and you are right, a purpose made one seems to be the only option as none completely fit the bill, although an abru angle bracket might work. I have considered moving the table but it blocks a doorway and takes up an unnecessary amount of space so that is why I'm trying to find a way of doing this. The beam is covered in plasterboard so am hoping I'll be able to fix the brackets into this without resorting to welding. I appreciate your help and will let you know the solution.
best wishes

toplondonchef
Ganger
Ganger

Post by toplondonchef » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:21 am

Hi Sophiecogan
From your reply you now mention that the beam is covered with plasterboard. This will further complicate the method of fixing a bracket and lights to the beam (my mistake but I had assumed that the steel beam was exposed)

You mention that the light fittings are "reasonably weighty" - this will become more of a factor if you hang them off of an extending bracket as the downward forces will be greater at the fixing point, ie, bracket to plasterboard junction

You can buy various plasterboard fixings and hollow wall anchors which work great when fixing to a wall. The weight of the object supported is then spread, to some degree, over a greater surface area
A small area of plasterboard covering a beam will have very little mechanical strength and may not be secured very well to the beam either - it just wont be load bearing

Can the lights not be hung from the ceiling in the usual manner and centred over the table ?
Not what you wanted I realise but I can't see the beam/plasterboard option working and being secure
Regards
David

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:35 am