Hanging Kitchen Cabinet After Near Collapse
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

darklym
Labourer
Labourer

Hanging Kitchen Cabinet After Near Collapse

by darklym » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:12 pm

Hello,

I own a Glasgow tenement flat, built around 1900, exterior walls light sandstone. I recently noticed one of the corners of a kitchen cabinet had loosened itself from the wall so I took everything down to inspect what was holding it. (It is an Ikea Varde glass-door cabinet, like this one: https://www.ikeaddict.com/ikeapedia/en/Product/60158399-2/us-en/varde-glass-door-wall-cabinet-birch/Entry/)

I soon realised that the previous hack "joiners" had installed the unit directly into plasterboard, and when that evidently began to fail, drilled a few 8cm screws directly through the 3mm back panel into the wall. They also squirted a mess of glue along the back of the unit in the hope it would stick to the wall. It is a miracle the entire thing hadn't collapsed until now.

So I am trying to re-do the installation properly, and am having trouble figuring out the best way to do it. This is on an exterior-facing wall, so I assume there is load-bearing brickwork behind it. I've drilled a couple of inspection holes in the wall and it looks like there is 3 cm of plasterboard (piggybacked sheets I assume), then 4-5 cm of empty space before I hit any masonry. I'm not sure if the empty space is for insulation/ventilation, or a disused chimney shaft but I don't know of any fixings or shield/sleeve anchors that would withstand 8 cm cantilevered downward force.

So I guess my only recourse is to cut a hole in the wall and fix battens to the brick, which I would rather avoid. Or, I could try my luck with cabinet rails on the plasterboard, but I'm hesitant to trust that with 200 kg of cabinet and crockery.

Any ideas? They would be much appreciated. Thanks.
David

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:56 am