Hanging new garage doors
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
eod
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hanging new garage doors

by eod » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:36 pm

I need to hang some framed, braced garage doors to replace existing ones.

I have 2 questions if anyone can help:
The doors open outwards at the moment and need to when replaced. Does this present a bit of a security issue as anyone with a drill could just unscrew the hinges and not even bother with the padlock? (This said i have seen this on other doors out and about). The stuff in the garage isn’t of great value but still. Are there special screws i could get which would work with tee hinges?

The garage opening is concrete (can post a photo if that’s possible..). Would it be an option to hang the doors on the concrete posts (c.6x2”) or is it much better to build a wooden frame round the concrete posts to hang the doors on? If so, why?

Thanks in advance for any tips

carpstu
Apprentice
Apprentice

garage doors

by carpstu » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:12 pm

hi
i would use captive bolts with a domed head on one side with a nut on the other. i dont see and reason not to hang the doors on the concrete posts just rember if you got to drill them they may have metal renforceing rods in them

stu

eod
Apprentice
Apprentice

by eod » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:20 am

many thanks carpstu..

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:53 pm

Discover how easy it is to find vetted and insured tradesman local to your area with the help of DIY Doctor. Visit our Find a Tradesman area: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:07 am