Has my provider made my new window frame too short?
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sallycorte
Labourer
Labourer

Has my provider made my new window frame too short?

by sallycorte » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:13 pm

Just had a new window fitted (upstairs) and from the outside there is a 2.25" gap between the top of the frame and the brick work. I've measured inside and its 51" (theres a thick wood frame inside) and outside is almost 53" which would equate to approx 2" difference which would mean that the window has been incorrectly measured and is short by 2". I've put the rest off my window replacments on hold pending their surveyor coming to have a look and I want to make sure I'm not fobbed off with a tale that this is how it should be if its an error on their part. Please could any one offer some advice

many Thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

window fitting

by welsh brickie » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:17 pm

hard to say without seeing pictures.When you measure for survey you should measure inside and out.
So say your window is 1200mm wide inside,(DEPENDS ON THE CLEARENCE) your window should measure 1210mm so there is only 5mm clearance each side to the brick but if the plaster reveals are of thick plaster, the gap externally to the brickwork can be 20-30mm each side in some cases.If they measured tight to brickwork half the frame would be buried in the wall looking ugly on the internal view.
So to get over this problem they use ADD-ONS plastic profile that clips to the side of the window or they may use foam and hide with plastic trim.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:31 pm