Have I Been Ripped off With Soffits, Fascias and Guttering?
Tips, tricks and information on how to spot rogue and cowboy builders and also a platform for you to post and warn others of cowboy builders you may have encountered and help to spread the word of their dodgy dealings

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
RdoubleC
Labourer
Labourer

Have I Been Ripped off With Soffits, Fascias and Guttering?

by RdoubleC » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:37 am

Hi, any advice please would be gratefully received.

Our wooden soffits started drooping so, fearing water ingress into the roof I quickly contacted 3 companies for soffits, fascia and guttering replacement. Cheapest and best Yelp reviews was £650 so we went with them.

Our house is semi detached, easy access, so nothing overly difficult.

I'm only now understanding the difference between full replacement and capping, which is what we've had done.

Things which seems wrong to me are:
1) there's a drip onto the ground floor bay window flat roof. You can see water collecting into drips under the soffit in that particular area. That suggests the gutter is now too far out to collect the rain water? (Hindsight I've only now understood the difference between capping and full replacement)

2) they put the uPVC over the bathroom extractor fan vent with no cut out. Now they may have battened the soffit down with 2x1 which *might* still allow for some airflow but surely that will create condensation onto the (already poor) wooden soffits and should be given a proper cut out with the vent cover over the top? There are no other ventilation holes in the approx 5m run of uPVC.

I think with hindsight I've just handed over hundreds of pounds for a crap job so any advice on how to make them/prove to them, repair these things would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
R

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Have I Been Ripped off With Soffits, Fascias and Guttering?

by collectors » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:42 am

All you can do is get up there & have a look. On an older house, you may not have this, but the roofing felt under the tiles should come out & into the gutter. Also, & naturally the tiles should be over the gutter by a 1/4. But you can only see this buy getting up there.

Hugh Schkok
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Have I Been Ripped off With Soffits, Fascias and Guttering?

by Hugh Schkok » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:57 pm

collectors wrote:All you can do is get up there & have a look. On an older house, you may not have this, but the roofing felt under the tiles should come out & into the gutter. Also, & naturally the tiles should be over the gutter by a 1/4. But you can only see this buy getting up there.

You are exactly correct 'Collectors' Good answer
Hugh

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:30 am