Heat rooms more quickly
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
paulkelly
Labourer
Labourer

Heat rooms more quickly

by paulkelly » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:39 am

I have 3 rooms (1 radiator each) that are quite cold at this time of year. One is an upstairs bedroom opening out to an open plan main body.
The other two are on the other side of a double glazed hall door and effectively cut off from the main house. They face west and do not catch the sun until too late in the day.

I can't tell you how the pipes run, but the boiler is at the opposite end of the house. It is a Vaillant 8xx combi / condensing boiler. TRVs (Myson?)fitted at each radiator.

The rooms are not occupied for very long and I do not want to run the heating for longer to compensate for the lower temperature. The rest of the house is fine.

Is there anything i can do at the radiators to bring the rooms up to temperature more quickly. I have read about flow rates etc, but don't understand the practicalities. I don't want to adjust anything and upset the radiators in the rest of the house.

Thanks.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:28 pm

Are you saying that some of the radiators are cooler compared to others which is you suspect caused by flow rates? If you think this is the case you can experiment by turning off some of the hottest radiators and seeing if that warms them up. If you use the TRV's to turn the rads off, you can easily re-set them and cannot upset the system.

Balancing is far simpler than you think. It is just a question of opening up the lockshield sufficiently to allow enough hot water to flow to make the rad hot. If turning off the TRV makes other rads warmer, shut off its lockshield and open one full turn. If the rad runs cool, open it another turn and so on until it gets fully hot. Allow 5 mins between adjustments. Now do each rad in turn working from closest to furthest from the pump.

paulkelly
Labourer
Labourer

by paulkelly » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:11 am

Thanks plumbbob, but I haven't explained it properly.

Before the heating comes on, 3 rooms are a lot cooler than the others.

At the end of a normal heating cycle, they are still cool in comparison to the other rooms. I happy with the temperature in the other rooms.
All rads seem to heat up evenly.

Without running the heating for longer, increasing the temperature orupsetting the other radiators, is there anything I can do in these three rooms to bring the radiators up to temperature more quickly than the rest of the house and so have them heated at a higher temperature for longer?

I suppose I am puting the system out of balance.

(The TRVs are Westherm Fours)

Thanks.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1