Heated Towel Rail in a wetroom?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
martin_bailey_1
Labourer
Labourer

Heated Towel Rail in a wetroom?

by martin_bailey_1 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:47 pm

I want to have a (dual-fuel) heated towel rail installed in my wetroom en-suite. I understand that as there's no raised shower tray, then the entire floor could be considered to be the shower tray, thus meaning that ALL of the walls (even those some distance from the shower area) would be regarded as being in 'zone 1'.....fair enough !
However.... am I right in thinking, that provided the heating element/thermostat is rated as IP44 or above, and it's correctly 'hard-wired' into a wallplate, connected to a switched fused spur outside the room, then that's acceptable?
I ask this, because my bathroom designer has been told by her electrician, that 'you can't put an electrically heated towel rail anywhere in a wetroom' !
If someone could clarify/confirm this for me, then that would be fantastic....many thanks....Martin.

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:14 pm

701.32.3 Description of zone 1
b) at a distance of 1.20 m from the centre point of the fixed water outlet on the wall or ceiling for showers without a basin.
So no not whole of floor in zone 1.
701.512.2 External influences
Installed electrical equipment shall have at least the following degrees of protection:
(ii) In zones 1 and 2: IPX4.
So yes IP44 OK
701.55 Current-using equipment
In zone l, only the following fixed and permanently connected current-using equipment shall be installed, provided
it is suitable for installation in zone I according to the manufacturer's instructions:
(vi) Towel rails
So yes you can fit an electric towel rail. Please remember this is to 17th Edition and there were different rules under 16th Edition.
Eric

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:19 pm

Hi , my Father has just moved into a 70 apartment block of 'assisted living' homes & his & all the others have not only heated towel rails they also all have fan heaters fitted, it's about common sense interpretations of the rules, which if distances & IP ratings are checked then I don't see a problem,
regards SPARX

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:26 am