Heated Water From Immersion into the Boiler Cold Water Supply Pipe?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nb99
Apprentice
Apprentice

Heated Water From Immersion into the Boiler Cold Water Supply Pipe?

by nb99 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:57 pm

Hi

New to the forum and no expert on plumbing so please go easy on me and any help/advice would be much appreciated!

I'd like to know if I can supply a fuel-fired boiler with hot water from an immersion heater. So instead of cold water going into the boiler to be heated and then sent out, hot water would go in which should mean the boiler doesn't need to fire. If/when the immersion heater runs out of hot water, the water going into the boiler would be cold so the boiler will fire as normal to heat it. Is that possible/safe?

Many thanks

NB99

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Heated Water From Immersion into the Boiler Cold Water Supply Pipe?

by proptech » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:55 pm

Hi nb99

With a bit of thought, it could be done. But why on earth should you want to do such a thing, If you're thinking in terms of solar energy, it still wouldn't be worth doing.

nb99
Apprentice
Apprentice

by nb99 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:16 pm

Thanks Proptech. It's because my fuel boiler is a little underpowered for the house since we created an extension with extra bathroom, radiators etc. If the heating is on and 2 people are showering in two of the bathrooms, the boiler often stops and goes into standby mode - I guess it overheats. So I thought that by adding an immersion heater to take some of the strain off the system. The problem is I can't fit the new immersion anywhere near the bathroom and adding new pipes to it is going to be a lot of work. So given the immersion is going in right beside the fuel boiler I wondered if I could simply feed the hot water from the immersion into the existing system.

nb99
Apprentice
Apprentice

by nb99 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:18 pm

Thanks Proptech. It's because my fuel boiler is a little underpowered for the house since we created an extension with extra bathroom, radiators etc. If the heating is on and 2 people are showering in two of the bathrooms, the boiler often stops and goes into standby mode - I guess it overheats. So I thought that by adding an immersion heater to take some of the strain off the system. The problem is I can't fit the new immersion anywhere near the bathroom and adding new pipes to it is going to be a lot of work. So given the immersion is going in right beside the fuel boiler I wondered if I could simply feed the hot water from the immersion into the existing system.

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

by proptech » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:05 pm

Please stop there. reading your post tells me there could be a serious fault in your system. The only way is to address the original problem. adding anything is only going to cause more problems.

nb99
Apprentice
Apprentice

by nb99 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:37 am

OK well thanks for your opinion.

Would still like thoughts from others please as to whether there is anything to stop one supplying a fuel boiler with hot water instead of cold. I can't see why it wouldn't work but interested in any opinions to the contrary.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:38 am