heating in uk houses
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
arch.antonella
Labourer
Labourer

heating in uk houses

by arch.antonella » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:28 pm

I'm looking for renting an house in Manchester and i visited some flats, some with electrical heating, some with gas fired heating. Which are the difference and what is it less expensive?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:30 pm

Price wise, it's a guess but I'd imagine gas would be cheaper.

Performance wise, gas is definately the better option. Radiators look better than electric heaters too.

htg

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:12 am

Electric heat pumps can be less expenive than gas but you are unlikely to find there hi tec systems on the old brick storage heater is completely useless. No or little control and give out heat as a result when not reqired. There are some better systems now with central heat stores but unless gas prices rise higher than electric gas will still win.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

heating in uk houses

by Perry525 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:43 pm

Keep in mind that electricity paid for a point of use, puts 100% of its heat into a room. It does not waste heat in ventilation, it does not waste heat, raising the temperature of pipes or water in pipes.
I used to have a large flat that was heated to 23 C by two small 500 watt bowl heaters controlled by a thermostat.
It was very cheap to keep warm.
Now I have radiators, a zoned system, insulation and it costs a fortune to keep warm.
Take a look at each option. Double glazing helps, being a flat thats on the first floor, where you gain heat from the surrounding flats helps. The location of the building, is it exposed to strong cold winds, all these things make a difference.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:01 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:48 am