Heating stopped working all of a sudden.
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
adaervon
Labourer
Labourer

Heating stopped working all of a sudden.

by adaervon » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:42 pm

Hi, hope you can help. I woke up a week ago and the heating had stopped working. I have an old Baxi Bermuda 550 with a gravity fed HW and pumped central heating. I thought it may be the pump as it has gone before so I felt the pump and it was vibrating and I could feel warmth on the pipe above the pump. I called a plumber who was in a hurry and assured me that it was a faulty non return valve on the other 22mm pipe as it wasn't getting warm. I then turned off the water and drained the system, replaced the non return valve (with the flow arrow pointing up as the original), refilled and bled the radiators before and after the pump was going for a while. Still I have hot water from the taps but no heat for the rad's. My friend (an engineer) turned up to "help" so we drained the system and changed the direction of the non return valve as he was adamant that if the 22mm pipe with the pump direction facing up then the check valve should face down. This didn't work either so we tried to drain the system however it wouldn't drain. By then we were getting rather desperate (6pm on Christmas Eve) and my fiend tried to release the pressure by loosening a compression fitting above the check valve that we thought was a cap, it turned out to be a spring loaded fitting. Needless to say, the pressure was eased and my friend then changed the valve back to the up direction and refilled the sysyem again. Still plenty of hot water and no heating. Over the last few days I've been trying to sort this out as plumbers aren't answering their phones. I have added sludge remover and replaced the pump, however there was a leak from the shut off valve above the pump (i took it apart and repaired it), refilled again and guess what? Same again. I started to drain the system this morning and the upstairs rads started getting warm. I refilled again and still no hot rads, please help? :evil:

griffo
Apprentice
Apprentice

by griffo » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:30 pm

Is the boiler firing?
Is there a supply to the gas valve?
What type of zone valve and programmer/roomstat do you have and are they calling for heat?

Not enough technical info to advise any more.

DEEARR2
Ganger
Ganger

by DEEARR2 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:00 pm

Gravity hot water and pumped C/H. why is there a non-return valve fitted? and where exactly is it fitted in the system?. These valves are usually spring loaded and create a resistance against the pump flow rate.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1