Heating tank always at max level
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tonybatty
Labourer
Labourer

Heating tank always at max level

by tonybatty » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:37 pm

Can someone give me a solution to this problem. The two water tanks in the attic I believe are hot and cold tanks. the samller for the heating(?) is always at a maximum level and every time the heating comes on always goes high and the overflow pipe starts to take away the excess water. the ballcock is old as is the connecter. I don't think the ballcock is working properly. Any ideas? Or do I have to replace the ballcock and connecter?

muttley
Tradesman
Tradesman

expansion tank

by muttley » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:31 pm

:cry: i,m afraid batty you may have a split coil inside your cylinder,i would seek a professional to explain,you may need a new cylinder.Its backing up the cold feed to your F&E tank.nothing to do with your ballvalve.Good Luck

muttley
Tradesman
Tradesman

expansion tank

by muttley » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:50 pm

:: I did post a reply to this problem,but it dosent seem to have got thru
Last edited by muttley on Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:43 am

The water level in the F/E (small) tank is too high for starters.

When the heating is running is the water in the F/E tank hot or cold?

If it's hot your system is "pumping over". Quite a few possibilities ranging from a failed bolier stat to magnetite in the pipework. Get a professional in to look at it.

From informatioin to hand this has very little to do with the hot water cylinder.

Cheers

muttley
Tradesman
Tradesman

venting over

by muttley » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:17 am

You need to go into your attic ,get somebody to switch on heating and watch what happens,you could then where the tank is filling from . if the water rises in the tank on its own without any other influence,then it could be the cylinder.If water is pumping over from the expansion Iwould agree with my colleague.Both cases require a pro to prevent your system getting worse

tonybatty
Labourer
Labourer

by tonybatty » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:33 pm

My brother is a plumber and I've taken advice from him. I've installed a new ballcock but with my limited knowledge, whoever botched the job up years ago made a right hash of it. the tank is on a slant and the pipework looks second rate. Anyhoo, I know one cure for all of this and that's get a pro in and have a combi boiler fitted.

Thanks for all that have provided advice. The water in the tank is cold by the way. I've now got to resolve the airlock in the hot water

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:52 am