Heating Won’t Come on Without hot Water on Worcester Boiler
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
LindaDIY
Labourer
Labourer

Heating Won’t Come on Without hot Water on Worcester Boiler

by LindaDIY » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:08 pm

I have a greenstar Worcester gas fired condensing boiler, 7 Year’s old, regularly serviced. It has a Honeywell thermostat with a Salus digital room thermostat.
I generally have the hot water on for a short period am and pm and leave the heating on constant, using the room thermostat to control when it comes on. All working normally until a couple of weeks ago when heating did not come on even though thermostat was set to 16 and showing room temperature of 12. The led display on remote thermostat was showing it was sending a signal and the receiver light was green. The boiler would fire and then just die down again the next second. I then put the hot water on constant and the heating then came on. The next day I planned to call a plumber but the system rectified itself.
Two weeks of normal working, now it’s getting cold and it’s gone temperamental again! I had the boiler serviced during that 2 week period, mentioned the earlier problem but the guy said as it was working normally when he saw it he couldn’t trace a fault.
Any ideas?

ClearChoiceRoofing
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Heating Won’t Come on Without hot Water on Worcester Boiler

by ClearChoiceRoofing » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:48 pm

I assume there are no tripped breakers or blow fuses? Ensure that the power supply is there before we continue any further

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:24 pm

Could be one of a few things. I would look at any motorised valve's 1st that might be temperamental.

Cuticulun
Labourer
Labourer

by Cuticulun » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:32 pm

I had a similar issue with a GD2 boiler with a Honeywell thermostat and 'smart' home 4G communicator - after a few hours of torture trying to work out what the issue was - it turned out the the thermostat had firmware that had to be upgraded (otherwise it just did not send the signal). Worth a try?

MattTlr
Labourer
Labourer

by MattTlr » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:56 pm

Hi Cuticulun

I have a bit of a random and perhaps "offtopic" question but I've spent the last two hours trying to find any info on Google and it is by chance that I ended up on this forum and your post contains a few "key words" relevant to my query.

I am a sort of Smart Home enthusiast and I've recently set yp a system at home that integrates a Honeywell thermostat, GD2 boiler, Trikdis GSM communicator. a Hikvision NVR with 8 Hikvision cameras.

All the devices (and a few more) are connected via the GSM communicator that provides 2-way communication - say there is motion detection alarm sent by a camera - I receive a text message on my phone with a picture of the cause of the alarm. Similarly, I can set boiler temperature by phone etc.

All worked nicely until I had to upgrade firmware on the thermostat and the cameras - and then all went pear-shaped. If i log into the system it shows - "wrong gateway connection, please correct and try again". I can completely lost ... but I think that the issue may be with the new firmware ... can I revert to the previous version perhaps?

Thanks in advance - any help would be much appreciated!

Cuticulun
Labourer
Labourer

by Cuticulun » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:22 am

Hi Matt

Would be happy to help if i can. Coincidentally, I also have Hik cameras but I got them hooked up via my router, so I suppose it is the same thing but without the GSM hub and probably less complex that your system.

By the looks of it, your issue may have something to do with the new firmware or some compatibility issues? Did you try to upgrade firmware on your NVR and cams?

MattTlr
Labourer
Labourer

by MattTlr » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:59 pm

I actually did try to upgrade firmware on the nvr and the cameras but, to be honest, not sure if it worked. The hikvision manual on this was a bit convoluted and it was difficult to follow it. Do ya think that thus might be a problem? I can try again.

Cuticulun
Labourer
Labourer

by Cuticulun » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:23 pm

Sorry I was away for a week.

It does not look like a firmware issue tbh (or at least just a firmware issue), but I would say it should definitely be your starting point.

Hikvision user manuals are notoriously bad, especially older ones with terrible translation. I would recommend that you find some forum or blog (there are plenty people who having overcome the issue would post a 'how to' article to help others)... coz this is how I did it.

I could not find the one I used - but this one https://www.arm-sec.co.uk/forum/network-video-recorders/how-to-update-firmware-on-hikvision-devices looks pretty ok. Alternatively, it might be worth posting a question on a CCTV forum - like USE-IP or Cam-Talk - they are a lot of CCTV gurus!

MattTlr
Labourer
Labourer

by MattTlr » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:42 pm

Thanks! I've managed to upgrade firmware on my Hikvision recorder and cameras - which is a good news. The bad news is that the issue with the integration is still there though. I might need just to get someone to come around and look into this for me.
Thanks for your help anyway!

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1