Help! - Alteration of position of Gas Meter
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chriscxd
Labourer
Labourer

Help! - Alteration of position of Gas Meter

by chriscxd » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:14 pm

Help!

Does enyone know if there is any other company other than the National Grid who can move a meter postion quickly? Got builders starting on Monday and just been told by Nat Grid I have to fill in an application form and then it will take 6-8 weeks before they send someone out! Didn't realise it would take this amount of time!

Any help gratefully received.

Cheers

Chris

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:33 pm

WITH TRANSCO, ONLY WAY IS IF THERE IS GAS LEAK EMERGENCY WHERE IT WOULD BE EASIER TO INSTALL NEW METER/SUPPLY PIPE IN DIFFERENT LOCATION TO REMEDY A LEAK IN THE OLD SUPPLY PIPE.

I HAD A LEAK IN MY SUPPLY PIPE AND TRANSCO DID EXACTLY THIS THE VERY NEXT DAY AND INSTALLED EXTENTION TO PIPE AND MOUNTED THE METER ON AN EXTERNAL WALL ABOUT 15 FEET FROM ORIGINAL POSITION.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:14 am

The gas meter is the their property and responsibility, they're the only ones that can adjust the governor to set the gas pressures.

A CORGI registered gas installer, can only work from the gas meter to the appliances in the home.

From the ECV (emergency control valve) to the meter should not be adjusted/altered etc etc

They'll normally charge too, they wont just move the gas meter for free - unless there's good reason. For example if the meter or pipework was at risk of vandalism or other form of damage because of it's location.

Planning is the key - surely the builders would have advised the meter would need moving when they first took on or looked at the job ??

chriscxd
Labourer
Labourer

by chriscxd » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:57 pm

Yes we knew it had to be moved and I did the research by downloading the alteration pack from the web which quoted 15 working days hence I thought we have enough time. But when I rang them to chase they said they are currently running at 7-8 weeks lead time.

I have since learnt there are other companies that can do this type of work - see lloydsregister.co.ukbut as I am finding trying to find one that can help you in your area is proving difficult, seems National Grid have a monopoly and can charge what they like (£800+) and do it when they like which is not very good for the poor old consumer!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:38 pm