Help Bathroom fitted incorrectly
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dave321
Labourer
Labourer

Help Bathroom fitted incorrectly

Post by dave321 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:54 pm

We recently had a bathroom fitted by a a company called Cheshire Plumbing Services from Runcorn Liverpool. I say a company but they are basically 2 guys. The list of faults is endless and despite numerous phone calls and many promises to return they still have not. So far we have a leaking shower, toilet moving around, shower fittings loose, sink pug not working, bath taps loose to name but a few faults. My question is can anybody recommend a good relaiable fitter that we can use to correct all of the deficiencies ? Also, can I have suggestions as to how we get some money back from these guys. I really fear for the people who will have bathrooms fitted by them

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:37 pm

It's very sad, when a member of the public employs someone and they can't even do the job right, it's not difficult to do a good quality job - with no leaks - most small company's rely on word of mouth, I wonder what they'll do for business in a few years time, unless they trade under a new company name.

If they're trading - report them to trading standards with photo's of the defects. I'm not sure if trading standard would come out to witness the workmanship.

Are you any good at DIY ? as most of things you need putting right, can be done by a capable DIYer. Otherwise I would just ask around neighbours for decent local plumber that they'd recommend.

If it's really shoddy work - I would look into taking them to a Small Claims court. I don't think it costs much, it all depends on how much you paid them, how much you'd get back and how much it is for the court costs - you have to decide whether it's worth persuing.

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

Post by ALDA » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:23 pm

DAVE,

APPROACH YOUR LOCAL NEWSPAPER AND ASK THEM TO RUN AN ARTICLE ON THE SO CALLED BATHROOM REFURBISHMENT AND THE POND LIFE WHO CARRIED IT OUT.
(NAME AND SHAME EXERCISE).

IT MAY WELL BRING THEM OUT OF THE WOODWORK!
OR
CRAWL EVEN FURTHER UNDER THE STONE FROM WHICH THEY CAME!

(I CAN'T DECIDE WHERE THEY COME FROM).

HTG ENG IS RIGHT TO RECOMMEND YOU REPORT THEM TO TRADING STANDARDS. THEY MAY WELL HAVE A FILE ON THEM ALREADY.

HE IS ALSO RIGHT IN TELLING YOU TO EMPLOY TRADESPEOPLE THAT COME RECOMMENDED BY FAMILY, FRIENDS OR NEIGHBOURS.

ADDITIONALLY, GET A CONTRACT AND/OR A SCHEDUAL DRAWN UP BETWEEN YOU AND INSTALLER SO YOU BOTH KNOW WHERE YOU STAND AND ASK FOR WRITTEN GUARANTEE. ANY DECENT INSTALLER WILL BE ONLY TO HAPPY TO DO THIS.

TAKING THEM TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT IS ALSO A GOOD SUGGESTION BUT THESE TYPE OF SCUM WILL NO DOUBT IGNORE THE COURTS FINDINGS AND NOT PAY UP.

WE ALL LIVE AND LEARN.

ONCE BITTEN, TWICE SHY.

ALL THE BEST.

ALDA.

Rico
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by Rico » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:23 am

Dave,

Where abouts do you live, maybe I could come and take a look at it for you.

Rico

dave321
Labourer
Labourer

status

Post by dave321 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:04 am

Many thanks for the advice. We live in Liverpool. We have a friend of friend coming over this weekend to take a look so we'll see what he says. I would try and do it myself I am just a bit worried about getting the glass back into the shower unit. I understand this is difficult to do? Also, when you put the shower base onto the platform is there anything else I could use to bed it instead of sand and cement or is that the best material

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

Post by bobplum » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:57 am

hi this friend of a friend is he a plumber or better still a bathroom installer
you could end up going round in circles.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:27 pm