HELP - confusion with wiring!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sam275
Labourer
Labourer

HELP - confusion with wiring!

Post by sam275 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:47 pm

I have two switches next to each other situated outside bathroom. One controls ventilation above shower (never use) which is a normal single switch. The other is a dimmer switch controlling the lights in bathroom. Wanted to replace the switches. The normal single switch has earth and neutral wire but the live is cut back and not used. There is another earth indepentantly attached to the normal switch and through to the dimmer switch next to it. The dimmer switch has the earth, neutral and live as normal. The switches were taken down without making note of where all goes. Can anyone understand this wiring???

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:32 pm

Hi sam275,
To be honest I don't! how can the live not be used? Are saying that this switch is no longer in use and has been disconnected and now you want to reconnect? If that is so!
The Dimmer should be straight forward. L1 red cable L2 black cable and earth to earth terminal in back box and or switch plate.
The single pole switch should be wired the same way.
Remember to be safe and isolate electrics before you carry out any work, if you feel you do not understand the circiut get an electrician in.
Good Luck
KB

sam275
Labourer
Labourer

Post by sam275 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:02 pm

Hi kbrownie, thanks for replying. It might help if id given the right info to start with! I was obviously not thinking straight when I typed it! - Ill try again.

Both were working fine just wanted to replace. The single switch has LIVE and EARTH with the NEUTRAL cut back (not the live as I'd previously put!) with an independant live leading from this switch to the dimmer next to it. The dimmer also has live/neutral/earth.

Sorry about the confusion!

Sam

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:08 pm