Help! Damsel in distress! Dampness in bathroom (single brick
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ecward75
Labourer
Labourer

Help! Damsel in distress! Dampness in bathroom (single brick

by ecward75 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:23 pm

Ok, sorry to all the woman out there but I'm really going to sound a bit pathetic here!

I don't know what to do about my bathroom. I have a victorian terrace and the bathroom is in what used to be the coal shed. It's a tiny, but very cold room. I believe it's only single brick and therefore, so I've been told, cavity wall insulation is not an option. The problem is it's cold and damp patches form on the walls and on the pipes. As I said above, its a tiny room, so building an extra layer of wall (if that's possible?!) isn't an option. I have an extractor fan, but it doesn't seem to help.

I think these are my options:-

- replace the radiator with a much bigger one. Will this help?
- Use some type of internal insulation? Is this possible? Does it work? Is it expensive?
- knock the room down and start again... Am I looking at thousands to rebuild a room no bigger than about 7ft x 7ft?

Please help me someone!

Thanks[/list]

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:19 pm

ecward75,
Your last option is probably the only one which will be successful, unfortunately it will cost you something in excess of £5,000 - depends if the roof can be left in place.
end

sidney
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Help! Damsel in distress! Dampness in bathroom (single b

by sidney » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:26 am

[quote="ecward75"]Ok, sorry to all the woman out there but I'm really going to sound a bit pathetic here!

I don't know what to do about my bathroom. I have a victorian terrace and the bathroom is in what used to be the coal shed. It's a tiny, but very cold room. I believe it's only single brick and therefore, so I've been told, cavity wall insulation is not an option. The problem is it's cold and damp patches form on the walls and on the pipes. As I said above, its a tiny room, so building an extra layer of wall (if that's possible?!) isn't an option. I have an extractor fan, but it doesn't seem to help.

I think these are my options:-

- replace the radiator with a much bigger one. Will this help?
- Use some type of internal insulation? Is this possible? Does it work? Is it expensive?
- knock the room down and start again... Am I looking at thousands to rebuild a room no bigger than about 7ft x 7ft?

Please help me someone

well if you can't or do not wish to build a second skin then ideally ensure you have a competent dpc damp proof course on the single skin existing wall and then fit polystyrene backed plaster board, 50mm polystyrene should do it. i have used it in several locations and have been pleased with the results. remember to use bathroom paint, bathroom anti fungicidal silicone and to use the extractor. in my own home i have an independant fan on a timer so the fan doesn't have to stay on for 20mins if you are just washing your hands. screwfix do a good mould hand spray although i am told bleach is as good., good luck
[/quote]

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:19 pm