HELP!! (First Post)
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Osh
Labourer
Labourer

HELP!! (First Post)

by Osh » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:26 am

Good morning all,

This is my first post and (sorry) it might be a lengthy one…. I have a problem with our house that I could do with some sound advice and guidance on…

Please let me set the scene

My wife, Gill, and I live with out 4 kids in a suburb of central Bristol; we have a 3 bedroom Victorian and of terrace house and the gable wall is rendered (there is a damp course in the house). My wife has lived in this house for 5 or 6 years and moved into the house with her ex-husband before they divorced - we got together around 2 ½ years ago and we got married this year.

The previous owner had installed double glazing but the windows are not very good quality.

So here’s the problem.

We seem to suffer really badly and constantly from mildew/household mould. When we wake up in the morning the windows in the bedrooms are always covered with condensation.
We quite regularly get mould growing on our clothes
At least once or twice a year we have to scrub the walls clean with bleach.
With the recent very damp late-summer we have had it has produced what look like large damp spots that are, in fact, mould patches.
The rooms (especially the lounge) always smell musty (this is horrible!!)
Recently I cleaned the walls in my sons bedroom and noticed that the paint was flaking away from the plaster in places and, in some places, the plaster seems to be loose itself (this is the gable wall)
(I could go on!)

In our own bedroom we recently pained the walls with ant-fungal paint (and then coated this in emulsion) which seems to have done the trick to stoop the mould growing back on the walls – but we still get mould on our clothes.

I’m sure that you can guess this is all very depressing – lovely old house but a crappy place to live. It feels like the house is constantly ‘sick’…

We have a dehumidifer that we have to keep on almost constantly; we've been advised to kep the windows shut and the heating on all the time - but this is no a long term solution...

So – I guess what I’m asking here is what remedial work do I need to do to stop the rot (if you’ll pardon the pun) – I know we need to find the cause of the problem(s) first (and I cant help feeling it’s got something to do with the rendering)…

Is it worth paintingthe gable wall in some form of coating - or would that just make it worse...??

So – can anyone suggest what the cause is and how I go about fixing it…??

Thereafter, I’m sure, there will need to be several thing done to get the place into a healthy state…

Any help and suggestions much appreciated.

I am 'okish' at DIY; a few years ago i did renovate an old Victorian house that I lived in with my ex-wife; we did the whole place from top to bottom but witht he help of friends from different trades. Onthe whole I did most of the labouring and friends did the rest; like most DIYers I do make the occassional cock-up but, generally, i'm sound and prepared to have a go...

Warmest Regards

Osh
(Mikey)

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

damp

by welsh brickie » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:34 am

you need trickle vents fitted to all the windows,this will stop the mould.
the gable end will need checking for any cracking,ask your local buider for a quote and tell your insurance company they could help with the cost.

barbs
Labourer
Labourer

Re: HELP!! (First Post)

by barbs » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:50 pm

Hi,

We have cottage that is over 150 years old, the house backs onto another building with no gap between us so there are no windows at the back. We have a problem with condensation on all the windows in the house, and the tiles in the bathroom and kitchen (the bathroom is downstairs next to the kitchen). There is also condensation on the front door which is solid wood, the condensation in the bathroom is so bad it actually runs down the walls and causes puddles on the floor. We get this problem as soon as the weather starts to turn cooler, we ventilate the house by opening the windows as much as possible, has anyone got any advice or a solution.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:29 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:48 am