Help Identifying Possible Pressure Release Valves in Old Heating System?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kevster67
Labourer
Labourer

Help Identifying Possible Pressure Release Valves in Old Heating System?

by kevster67 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:54 am

This is my first time posting on this forum (although I've found plenty of useful stuff in searches) - so Hi everyone.

My question is - on the central heating pipes running across my loft (a bungalow) there are two parts sticking up from the feed and return pipe that are black and about the size of a RedBull can, with a red button on top that doesn't press in. I am currently replacing the whole crazy heating system (except boiler - a Worcester Greenstar 30 CDi) as it is a bodge of pipes everywhere that has been hacked and changed over the years. I suspect these 'things' are a hang over from the previous coal-fired boiler (possibly pressure release?), as the current combi boiler instructions states that it has an integral over-pressure valve.

Can I dispense with them when I rip the old system out and connect to the new?

Cheers for any advice.
Kev

lets have a look
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Help Identifying Possible Pressure Release Valves in Old Heating System?

by lets have a look » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:40 pm

they should be automatic air valves it's common when heating pipes run through the attic, my advice with a combi would be take them out, the red cap should unscrew and shouldn't have been left on as they stop the air from escaping like they are meant to do

kevster67
Labourer
Labourer

by kevster67 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:02 am

lets have a look wrote:they should be automatic air valves it's common when heating pipes run through the attic, my advice with a combi would be take them out, the red cap should unscrew and shouldn't have been left on as they stop the air from escaping like they are meant to do

Many thanks for the advice. The pipes also have a couple of open-ended gate valves with end caps on that look like they are there for manual bleeding. Is it worth adding a couple of these on the new pipework for filling the system and adding inhibitor?
Thanks again
Kev

lets have a look
Foreman
Foreman

by lets have a look » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:48 am

no don't add anything,with a combi it's pressurised so will push any air out,

kevster67
Labourer
Labourer

by kevster67 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:09 am

lets have a look wrote:no don't add anything,with a combi it's pressurised so will push any air out,

Perfect, thanks again.
Kev

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1