DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Help identifying radiator valve so I can isolate and remove old radiator

Postby Beccaanne » Fri May 15, 2020 2:57 pm


Hoping for some insight from someone in the know! I'm planning on swapping my old radiator to a heated towel rail and have been researching like mad for the last few weeks. Hovever I can't find any reference to the type of valve pictured or how to ensure that the radiator is isolated from this point. It's definitely the inlet side and the other side is a simple lockshield valve which can be turned no problem. Is anyone able to tell me what this is and how to do this? (I am aware that the earth wire is attached this side too and will need sorting)
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 15, 2020 2:40 pm


Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Fri May 15, 2020 9:23 pm

Hi beccaanne
Looks like a standard radiator valve where the spindle has snapped. Try gripping the remaining spindle and turn it clockwise. Either you won't be able to turn it because the valve is seized or eventually, after a number of turns you will reach a stop. If this happens then there is a good chance that the valve may be closed - no guarantee!
Regards S
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 5507
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics