DIY Doctor

Help!!! incomprehensible compression fit pieces!

Postby DrRocketMan » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:05 pm

I have recently bought a new radiator valve for a cast iron radiator. It's supposed to take 15mm copper pipe but I don't understand the compression fittings its has come with. Essentiall there are three components...

1) a rubber sleeve about 10mm long that fits snugly over 15mm pipe. Each end has a different external diameter (theres a slope in the middle between the two ends).
2) A brass olive 4mm thick (again fits snuggley over 15mm pipe), three circular ridges on the inside. This piece has a 3mm cut in it (i.e. it's slightly "c" shaped rather than "o" shaped... but only just).
3) Another brass ring (a complete "o" this time), 3mm thick less snug over the 15mm pipe than the other piece. in cross section it is "L" shaped.

I really hope someone can follow that.

Appreciate any help.

Kindest regards... Rob.
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:43 pm


Simply Build It

Postby bobplum » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:50 pm

at first it sounded like a leadlock fitting
ive never fitted to cast a iron rad so cant help there but can you send picture and you may get an answer
Rank: Foreman
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:35 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics