DIY Doctor

*Help! -- Lighting Problem*

Postby verve » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:19 pm


I've just installed under-cabinet fluorescent kitchen lighting that can be switched on/off from a 2 Gang 2 Way Rocker switch that also operates the main ceiling light. However – I can’t turn on the cabinet lights only, without having to switch the main light on.

I would be very grateful if someone could suggest how I could change this so I could switch just the kitchen lights on only.

Many thanks
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:26 pm


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:56 am

I am a little confused. You say you have installed it yet you don’t seem to know how it is wired? In order to get a neutral it would normally require wiring from the ceiling rose which would mean completely independent wiring and as a new circuit a minor works certificate would have needed to be made out and submitted to buildings control under Part P. Anyone with the skill to do this inspection and testing should be able to wire a simple switch! I am worried about giving any advice as if the under-cabinet fluorescent is not wired in normal manor I could be giving totally wrong information.

Postby stevenc1603 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:03 pm

If its already wired to your existing light switch then I am going to guess that your circuit is like my house where its looped at the switch instead of the ceiling rose.
This would then give you the required neutral that ericmark is talking about.

What I would do is replace the existing switch with a double switch.

You need to watch what you are doing with the wiring though as you will have a couple of perm lives, a couple of switched lives and hopefully 4 neutrals and earths.

You need to identify the switched live of the cupboard lights so that you can wire that to the L1 terminal on the 2nd switch of the new faceplate.

The main kitchen light switched live will go to the L1 port of the 1st switch on the new faceplate.

The 2 existing perm lives will go to the com of the 1st switch and you would need to make a jumper wire to go from the com of the 1st switch to the com of the 2nd switch.

Bear in mind this is all based on guess work and if you have any doubts about what you are doing please consult a pro as I cannot be held liable if you fry yourself or burn your house down.
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 11:59 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics