Help....lights out!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mmc78
Labourer
Labourer

Help....lights out!

by mmc78 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:45 pm

Hi All,

My living room light was not coming everytime I flicked the switch so I assumed this was due to a loose wire in the socket. Therefore, I shut the power down and opened the switch.

As I pulled the cover away all of the wires became detached. There was three red wires and a green and yellow one (earth?). However, there's only two wires required in the socket as it's a one-way switch.

Anyway, I found the correct combination of the wires eventually (4th attempt) and the switch worked fine. However, now the lights in 3 other rooms are not working!

Currently two rooms on one side of the flat - main bedroom and the living room (both one way lights) - and the hall (a two-way) are fine but the others on the opposite side - bedroom two, bathroom and kitchen are no longer working!

What have I done wrong here? I thought that maybe I'd blow the bulbs, but I changed a good one from the living room and put it in the kitchen and it still doesn't work.

Any suggestions appreciated!!

chriscba
Ganger
Ganger

by chriscba » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:56 pm

There must be a live in and a live out, you should have 2 reds together on one side of the switch ( live in & live out) and the swich wire to the light in the other connection.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:12 am