Help ! My sink plumbing smells??
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
reno
Labourer
Labourer

Help ! My sink plumbing smells??

Post by reno » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:36 am

We have a drainage smell in our kitchen. (very bad) We have ripped out the kitchen and sink etc. The sink waste joins into the large pipe that i believe is called the soil pie ?. There was the usual u bend under the sink then piping into the big pipe. Is the smell coming up from the sewer ? If so should there be a special valve or something??

roger196
Ganger
Ganger

Post by roger196 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:59 pm

Have you checked the manhole outside for a blocked drain. To clear this, you will need a set of drain rods. Be careful not to unscrew these when inserted in the drain or you will have a major problem extracting the components.

reno
Labourer
Labourer

my kitchen smells!!!

Post by reno » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:08 am

Thanks for your reply. I have no man hole in my garden. Maybe i should try next door. The smell is terrible this morning. Have fixed a non syphon trap to the pipework yesterday to see if that would help. It doesnt seem to have made any difference.This is an old ex council house and the wastes all feed directly into the soil stack. The stack runs down the corner of the house in a sort of boxed in area. Cant put new kitchen in till we get rid of this problem.

Gareth Thomas
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Gareth Thomas » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:53 pm

You need to fit in a Non Return Valve in the plastic drain pipe run, between ur trap and soil pipe. You shdnt have a smell with a trap anyway, unless your foul water is backing up. Either way a non return valve will do the trick. They are sometimes known as condom valves as they have a rubber tube in them. The tube will allow water to flow out through it, but not back.

reno
Labourer
Labourer

Post by reno » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:21 pm

Thanks very much for your advice. A friend has got me one of these things,will give it a try. Cant fit the new kitchen till this dreaded smell problem is sorted. Now we know why the people we bought the house from always has the windows open when we visited !!!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:42 am