HELP... NEED TO PAINT OVER VINYAL WALLPAPER
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
luckystara
Labourer
Labourer

HELP... NEED TO PAINT OVER VINYAL WALLPAPER

by luckystara » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:33 am

HELP........
I need to redecorate my 11 year ols daughters room as my toddler has decided to scribble all over it....
We have matching border, duvet cover, curtains ect that Id like to keep so Id like to paint over the exisiting wallpaper which is vinyal.......
Can I?????
If so which paint is best....
Thanks
p.s we have tried to remove the pen marks, but they dont come off

pablo2
Tradesman
Tradesman

by pablo2 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:49 pm

hello

I would try a sample area first , the pen marks may bleed through emulsion as may the inks in the Vynil , if this is the case then stain block or most oil based paints will hold it back , Vynil usually peels off quite easily why not try and strip it but remember to wash the walls afterwards with sugar soap then rinse otherwise the glues will craze the emulsion.

Hope this helps

mommasue
Labourer
Labourer

by mommasue » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:48 am

vynl wallpapers dont paint too well, the colours will come through if they are deep tones. If you really feel this is what you want to do then I strongly suggest painting over the whole area with Oil Based Undercoat. Allow to dry then continue to paint with Emulsion.

This should do the trick. Sealants rarely work in my experience, even water marks take several applications before they cease to bleed through.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:22 am

See our projects on graffiti and stripping wallpaper. Also, for good measure see the project on water stains. Its possible to get rid of the biro.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:12 pm